HISTORY
Beginnings
The Cleveland Museum of Art was founded as a trust in 1913 with an endowment from prominent Cleveland industrialists Hinman Hurlbut, John Huntington, and Horace Kelley. The neoclassical, white Georgian Marble, Beaux-Arts building was constructed on the southern edge of Wade Park, at the cost of $1.25 million. Wade Park and the museum were designed by the local architectural firm, Hubbell & Benes, with the museum planned as the park's centerpiece. The 75-acre (300,000 m2) green space takes its name from philanthropist Jeptha H. Wade, who donated part of his wooded estate to the city in 1881. The museum opened its doors to the public on June 6, 1916, with Wade's grandson, Jeptha H. Wade II, proclaiming it, "for the benefit of all people, forever". Wade, like his grandfather, had a great interest in art and served as the museum's first vice-president; in 1920 he became its president. Today, the park, with the museum still as its centerpiece, is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Expansion in the mid-to-late 20th century
In March 1958, the first addition to the building took place, doubling the museum's floor space. This extension on the north side of the original building was designed by Cleveland architectural firm Hayes and Ruth. They designed a new gallery space and a new art library.
In 1971 the museum was expanded again with the opening of the north wing. Designed by modernist architect Marcel Breuer, the extension with its stepped two-tone granite façade features angled lines that contrast with the flourishes of his 1916 neoclassical façade of the building. I was doing it. The museum's main entrance has moved to the North Wing. The auditorium, classrooms, and auditorium were also relocated to the north building, and the space of the original building was renovated as a gallery space.
In 1983, the west wing, designed by the Cleveland architectural firm Dalton, van Dijk, Johnson & Partners, was completed. This provided a larger library his space and his nine new galleries.
From 2001 to 2012, the building that was added from 1958 to 1983 was demolished. A wrap-around building and an east-west building were newly established. Designed by Rafael Viñoly, this his $350 million project doubled the size of the museum to his 592,000 square feet (55,000 m2). To unite the new east-west wing with the Breuer Building to the north, new buildings were constructed along the south side of the 1971 addition, creating a vast new two-story gallery space, a museum shop and other facilities. Facilities provided. Vignolly covered the space created by the demolition of the 1958 and his 1983 buildings with an atrium with a glass roof. The East Wing opened in 2009, and the North Wing and Atrium opened in 2012. The West Wing opened on January 2, 2014.
21st century expansion
The museum's construction and renovation project, Building for the Future, began in 2005 and was due to be completed in 2012 (it didn't finish until 2013), but cost $258 million. The museum celebrated the formal completion of its renovation and expansion project with a grand opening ceremony on December 31, 2013, and additional activities that continued through the first week of 2014. A complete renovation of the original 1916 building - two new wings added. It is the largest cultural project in the history of Ohio. The new East and West Wings and surrounding atrium courtyard under a towering glass roof bring the museum's total area to 55,000 m2 (592,000 sq ft), an increase of about 65%.
Phase 1 of the project resulted in a cost overrun of $9.3 million. The opening was delayed nine months. The museum's director, Timothy Love, assured the public that the improved quality will be worth the wait and will come at a cost. In June 2008, after being closed for nearly three years for renovations, the museum opened its 19 permanent galleries to the public on its renovated ground floor of its 1916 building.
On June 27, 2009, the newly constructed East Wing, containing collections of Impressionist, Modern and Contemporary Art, was opened to the public.
On June 26, 2010, his ground floor of the 1916 building was reopened. It now houses collections of Greek, Roman, Egyptian, African, Byzantine and medieval art from sub-Saharan Africa. The expanded museum includes improved visitor facilities including new restrooms, an expanded shop and cafe, a gourmet restaurant with seating, parking increased to 620 spaces, and a 34,000 square foot (3,200 m2) glass courtyard. It is included.
On June 12, 2021, the Cleveland Museum of Art opened a community arts center in Cleveland's Clark Fulton neighborhood. It houses floats, displays, and artwork from Parade the Circle that were previously in temporary storage.
You must be logged in to post a comment.